Queensland Airports Ltd
- Four aircraft hangars located at Townsville Airport.
- Originally constructed in 2007.
- Over 10,000m2 internal floor area.
- Cost $5m
- Two tenants (BAE Systems and Worland Aviation).
- BAE Systems undertake helicopter maintenance for Australian Defence Force.
- Worland Aviation undertake maintenance of private and commercial aircraft.
- Work involved structural steel and concrete works to increase cyclone resistance.
The NAACEX Hangars at Townsville Airport were built in 2007 under a design and construct contract. The hangars are now home to two leading aircraft maintenance companies servicing the private, commercial and defence aircrafts markets.
The hangars required alterations including additional steel and concrete works. Construction had to be carried out within extremely tight timeframes to limit downtime for tenants and to fit around their contract works on aircraft.
The alterations commenced in 2010 with completion in early 2011. Heavy resourcing, 24×7 shifts, consolidation of each tenant’s operations into one hangar, a fast approaching wet/cyclone season and the Christmas period were some of the challenges to be managed during the construction period.
RCP were engaged by Queensland Airports Ltd to project manage the rectification works.