St Andrew’s Hospital
Project Management, Project Programming
- new day surgery centre, 28-bed ward, staff gym and 3 level basement carpark
- relocation of central sterile services department (CSSD) to former procedure/angio suite area
- conversion of 12 existing double ward rooms into single bedrooms
- redevelopment of existing service compound and plant building to accommodate new tri-gen (electrical) power plant
- 2019 AIPM South Australia Winner Construction/Engineering
- 2019 AIB National High Commendation Award
- 2019 AIB South Australia Professional Excellence Winner – Project Management
- European Health Care Design Awards – High Commendation
- Master Builders Award – Excellence in Commercial Building $20m – $50m
RCP provided full project management services for St Andrew’s Hospital’s new 3 storey eastern clinical development.
Due to tight timeframes, the project required a bespoke procurement delivery model. The early works were procured under a traditional lump sum tender and the main works were procured under a managing contractor agreement with a Guaranteed Maximum Price provision for cost certainty. This allowed the main works design to progress while the early works was under construction, compressing the programme for early delivery.
The early works comprised major services upgrades, major civil works and subsurface structural work. The basement was formed using a diaphragm wall (an unusual construction technique rarely used in Adelaide) due to the high water table in the site’s location. The main works comprised the balance of the project, including all superstructure, services and fit-out works.
Although many challenges arose during this fast-track, complex building project undertaken in an operational hospital environment, RCP successfully mitigated client risk and guided the project team to deliver a world-class facility, on time and on budget.
Stephen Walker, Chief Executive Officer
St Andrew’s Hospital
“RCP understood our specific needs and was able to successfully mitigate the significant risk posed to St Andrew’s Hospital whilst maintaining a harmonious team environment on this project. Richard and his team demonstrated a detailed understanding of undertaking construction works in a live hospital environment and proactively liaised with all stakeholders to minimise the impact to the hospital’s staff, patients and visitors. Additionally, the team demonstrated a strong client focus, going above and beyond in order to assist the hospital to achieve programme and cost savings and maintain a good relationship with the local residential community.”
Read full testimonial here.