James Cook University (JCU)
April 2016 – March 2017
- equitable all-weather access
- student meeting & seating areas
- secure pick-up & drop off areas
- truck delivery bay & driveway
- fully landscaped surrounds
- polished aluminum ceilings
- category P3 walkway lighting
- building & landscape feature lighting
- complete wireless access
- bridge crossing
The Verandah Walk project was designed and constructed to provide equitable all-weather access through fully lit covered pathways to create effective linkages across JCU’s Townsville campus during normal operation and after hours. Incorporated in the design is a series of “nodal” meeting and seating areas which allow students to study, collaborate and socialise in a landscaped outdoor setting.
RCP’s North Queensland office provided project management, programming and superintendent representative services to JCU throughout the design and constructions phases of the project. The construction of the walkway was required to be undertaken within a live environment and as such required continuous staging management to ensure pedestrian access was maintained.